Fixing Broken Furnaces in Gering and Scottsbluff Since 1987
Are parts of your home unnaturally chilly? Is there something banging and groaning behind your walls in the middle of the night? Before you call the Ghostbusters, it might be a good idea to reach out to a local furnace repair company. The aforementioned signs are often experienced by people with a heating problem. And, in most cases, they can be solved by an experienced HVAC technician. To learn more about furnaces and what it takes to fix them, read on.
Give us a call at (308) 216-8927 to schedule heating repair in the Scottsbluff and Gering area.
Signs Your Furnace Has a Problem
There are times when something goes wrong in the heating process. Though this sometimes leads to an obvious problem—a complete furnace breakdown—this isn’t always the case. Much of the time, the signs you need to call a Gering HVAC contractor are much more subtle. To prevent big problems from snowballing into larger ones, it’s important to be on the lookout for the following:
- Weird Smells: When you first turn your furnace on for the year, you might notice a musty smell. This is typically dust burning off that settled over the months your furnace sat idle. This will dissipate as the unit operates and isn’t anything to be concerned about. If you notice an odor that suddenly appears or refuses to go away, however, it’s time to call a Gering HVAC professional.
- Odd Noises: Is your furnace banging or making some other kind of noise? This can be the result of numerous issues with the unit and is best diagnosed by a heating repair expert. Call (308) 216-8927 to schedule a furnace repair in Gering and Scottsbluff .
- More Service Calls: Every furnace in the Scottsbluff or Gering area will have a part fail and need service in its life. In fact, one out of four people in the US will have an HVAC technician in their home each year. But if you’re making multiple calls in a heating season, it’s a sign you’ve been propping up a system that is aging out. Note that service calls don’t include preventative furnace maintenance visits.
- Climbing Utility Bills: There are many reasons your electric or gas bills can rise. Cooler temperatures are an obvious reason. But, if your fuel usage suddenly increases dramatically, you probably should have our Gering HVAC experts take a look. This increased cost often indicates a furnace that's being pushed past its limit.
- Visual Rust: While some amount of rust is expected with age, excessive amounts—especially on the flue—can be a sign of improper venting. If a roof or plumbing leak is causing furnace corrosion, it’s not just an eyesore. It can be dangerous. If the system rusts through to the heat exchanger, your home could be contaminated with deadly carbon monoxide. So, if you notice an issue with furnace rust, give Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating a call.
- Frequent Cycling: If your furnace is constantly flicking on and off, there’s something stopping the unit from working properly. Unfortunately, this can be difficult to diagnose due to a variety of potential causes. To get the problem located and fixed quickly, rely on our Gering heating repair experts.
- Start-Up Problems: Does your furnace not turn on when it drops below the indicated temperature on your thermostat? Are you hearing clicking noises on start-up? These issues often signal an upcoming furnace breakdown. So, if you ever notice them, reach out to Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating by phone or form.
Fortunately, no matter the scope or size of the problem, Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating can handle your furnace repair. Though we do most of our work in Bridgeport, Scottsbluff, and Gering, we are also well known and trusted throughout the surrounding areas.
The Top 5 Causes of Furnace Failure
It’s important that homeowners understand what parts of their furnace are most likely to fail. This can better prepare them to communicate with us about their heating problems. When fixing heating systems in Gering, we often find the following culprits, some of which can save you a service call:
- Clogged Filters: When was the last time you swapped out your furnace filter? If the answer is more than a few weeks ago, it might be time to check it, especially if you have pets. When running, your heating system pulls in dust, dander, and dirt. This is kept out of the mechanical parts by your furnace filter. A clogged filter restricts airflow, making your heating system work harder. Replacing it not only helps efficiency, but also improves air quality.
- Bad Thermostats: Your thermostat is responsible for signaling your furnace when to turn off and on to maintain the set temperature. If it’s not working properly, you’ll struggle to get warm. For instances where the thermostat may be at fault, make sure its batteries are good, if it uses any. Also, double-check that it is set to HEAT with the run method on AUTO.
- Ignition Failure: Sometimes the pilot light or surface ignitor will fail and refuse to light the burners. If this happens your furnace won’t be able to heat the air, leaving you in the cold. To prevent this, have it checked and cleaned regularly by an Gering-area HVAC professional. If it's the middle of winter, though, just give our Gering HVAC contractors a call at (308) 216-8927 instead.
- Exhaust Blower Issues: The furnace exhaust blower is what takes the combustion gasses out of the heat exchanger and vents it safely outdoors. If this component fails, the furnace will cycle on and off or shut down. Regular inspections and maintenance visits can prevent this from happening.
- Blower Motor Failure: The blower motor is essentially what keeps the air moving around your home. Should this component fail, it doesn’t matter how efficient your furnace is, the hot air won’t be distributed around your home. The blower can fail from overheating or from it becoming clogged with debris. Have your ducts cleaned and your furnace tuned up to keep the blower working effectively.
- Bad Heat Exchanger: The heat exchanger is one of the most important components of a conventional furnace. It is the component that safely transfers heat from the flame into heated air that is circulated in the home. When the heat exchanger develops holes or cracks, replacing it can be quite expensive. Some people prefer to simply replace their furnace. An expert evaluating your system can best advise you as to what might be in your best interest.
Trust Us to Tackle Your Furnace Problems in Gering or Scottsbluff
When it comes to furnace repair in Gering or Bridgeport, we know you have plenty of HVAC companies to choose from. However, not all of them are equal.
When you need your furnace repaired or replaced, trust the experts at Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating! As our long list of happy customers shows, many of your neighbors already do! With 36 years of experience helping people in the Gering area, we have the know-how necessary to fix your broken furnace or replace the old one. No matter what you need, our company has well-defined services and procedures to ensure the job's done right. In other words, when it comes to furnace repair, you can always count on Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating for quality products and workmanship. Contact us today to schedule your furnace repair in Gering.
WE ARE AVAILABLE FOR FURNACE REPAIRS 24/7
What better way to address your need for residential or commercial furnace repairs, than by calling on Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating Since 1987 we have been delivering customer satisfaction to every client we work with, and the expertise in the industry spans back to well over four decades. As a family owned, father and son company, we take great pride in making it a point to go above and beyond.
We genuinely care about the service needs of our clients, as well as the outcome of the final results. Although we appreciate the high customer satisfaction rating and elevated number of customer referrals we get, that is not what drives us. It is simply the desire to want to help our own fellow community members have the functional heat that they need, in order to run their home or business.
Service Excellence for Quality Furnace Repair Results
There are some common causes of furnaces issues that you should keep in mind, such as:
- The thermostat may seem like the least important part of your furnace, yet it is the entire brain of the operation. When it doesn't work, either does your heat. Always make it a point to check to see if it is on and set high enough, before making the call to us. You'd be surprised how often that occurs.
- The pilot light is another detail to check on, before assuming something major is wrong with your furnace. Sometimes just reigniting it is all you need.
- The filter should be changed every month, yet few people keep up with it. A dirty filter leads to restricted or blocked airflow and means that your system won't work as well as it should.
Prompt & Professional Furnace Repairs
Make it a point to contact the heating contractors at Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating Inc. for all of your furnace repairs and related heating service needs. We take great pride in being able to rapidly diagnose and solve your repair needs. Get in touch with us now and help reduce the likelihood of having minor issues develop into major ones.
If you need furnace repairs in the Gering area, please call Gering Valley Plumbing & Heating at (308) 216-8927 or complete our online request form.